Privacy at HB Legal
HB Legal Business & Property Lawyers (“HB Legal”) is a specialist business law firm in regional New South Wales.
HB Legal collects, holds and discloses information about individuals and is subject to the Privacy Act, including the National Privacy Principles. We may vary this policy from time to time.
Protecting confidential information is fundamental to our relationship with our clients and to our business. All information received in respect of a client matter is subject to strict duties of confidentiality. We will not disclose such information except in accordance with your instructions unless the law requires us to do so.
What kinds of information do we hold?
During the course of carrying on our business, we collect personal information, usually the following:
- name, address, occupation, professional memberships and contact information
- interests in areas of legal practice or events, and
- information about your dealings with us or our clients.
- bank account details
Not giving us any of the personal information which we ask for may affect our ability to meet our obligations to you, your employer or our clients.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
We use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected (which will normally be obvious when we collect it), including to:
- provide our services to you or our clients, to manage and account for the services, and to improve the services
- manage our relationships with our clients
- provide you or our clients with information about legal developments, events or other products or services that may be of interest to you or our clients, and
- facilitate our internal business operations, including fulfilment by us of any legal requirements.
We may disclose personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, and also:
- subject to our obligations to clients, to any person where necessary or desirable in connection with the provision of legal services, such as to the client, regulatory authorities, or other parties or advisors within HB Legal
- on a confidential basis to external service providers so that they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business, for example financial institutions
- where the law requires us to do so, or
- where you consent for us to do so.
We take reasonable steps to protect all information which we hold (including your personal information) from misuse, loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
We take reasonable steps to hold information secure in an electronic or physical form. Staff having access to confidential information are subject to confidentiality obligations.
Access and correction
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you. We may charge you a fee where access is provided. We may refuse to provide access to information held about you in any case where the National Privacy Principles allow us to do so.